Thursday, March 09, 2006

why thank you

yesterday i got on the elevator into the red line with my bici facing the wall. as we were about to go down a man lunged through the closing doors into the elevator, which was impressive given his size did not suggest a wicked indiana jones-type lunging ability. it was a bit impersonal of me to be standing with my face to the elevator wall but it would only be more awkward to arrange myself to face a stranger on purpose. the older man's voice boomed "you're a gorgeous chunk of girl" to the back of my head. "uh, thanks" i semi-curtsied in response, adjusting the hem of my shirt in an unexplainable tic. and that was it. he didn't have anything else he wanted to add, so it was kind of nice. just a random complement.

it makes me think about how personal a moment it can be to share an elevator with a stranger, and how that we ride in such small spaces with each other demonstrates a gut level of trust for our fellow elevator taker. like people who smoke outside and become friends, we who are too lazy or too impaired to take the escalator into the subway become bound in our reliance on the little glass box.

totally deep.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home